reunion
Reunion
Today I came home ecstatic. I met a boy who was as old as me
or maybe a year younger. He was the best
human being I’d come across; he was my friend Ralph. Ralph, who was a mason’s
son, lived in a small shanty near my school. Owing to which I will have to keep
our friendship under wrap as this will not go down well with my parents
considering that we belonged to the crème da la crème society. Ralph lived with
his parents and little sister, his thirst for knowledge and the madness for
life was what drew me towards him. I was always surrounded with not so real
people, people who had all the riches, yet whined for more. Every evening, I
used to spend my play time with Ralph; we both shared with each other a piece
of our lives. Our friendship grew thicker as days passed, and so did our love
for each other.
The stars hid behind the dark clouds; the wind howled as the
rain battered the window. Meanwhile, I entered my house to avoid volley of
questions which would be thrown at me. To my surprise, my parents were in an
unusually good mood; this sight brought a broad smile on my face. My mother
said in an excited voice, ‘Steve, your dad wants to give you some good news.’
On the dinner table, my parents broke the news to me, which was probably the
reason for their happiness and uplifted mood. My dad got a transfer to New York
– we were going to move to the United States of America. A tingling feeling in
my feet and hands, and my head felt like a ball of fire. The dreadful rainy
night was the worst night of my life. I didn’t have the courage to give this
news to Ralph. Reminiscing of the good times spent with Ralph, I dozed off.
It has been a decade since the last time I saw Ralph. My
anxious heart was waiting to see him while many questions running in my mind. Will
he remember me, How will he react when he sees me. Holding his photograph close
to my heart along with his memories I walked towards his house. There was a sea
change in the surrounding-gladly the change was for the better. The houses were
now cemented with every roof having a water tank. The narrow lane which was
leading to Ralph's house was widened, yet I couldn’t find Ralph’s house. Where
did it disappear? People around were indifferent, definitely things had
changed. I was feeling completely hopeless. In the meantime, my search for
Ralph continued. After looking out for nearly two days, I came across a man who
was kind enough to talk to me. Finally, it was this benevolent man who knew
Ralph’s whereabouts.
He kept saying things which were beyond my understanding. Did
I really care or did I hear him out, none of it. I begged him to take me to
Ralph as I was longing to meet him. In a disgruntled tone he said, ‘I can show
you where he spends his time, but don’t expect me to come along.’ His words
kept playing in my mind like a broken record due to which I was reeling. Not
that I wanted him to accompany me, but now I certainly needed his help. His
thin, long fingers directed towards the huge rusted gate, this time with a
smirk he told me, ‘There.’ Flushed with triumph I turned to thank him, but then
he was gone. Still, I walked towards the gate only to witness a weak man
sitting inside the cemetery. I couldn’t bring myself to entering the gate, the
overgrown trees, the smell of the moss and the decaying leaves, and the broken
tombstones were not welcoming. What is
he doing inside? My thoughts were running through all this when suddenly, I saw
Ralph digging out something from the ground. Those were the toys which we both
used to play with. He started talking to some imaginary person and was playing
the same way as we did in our childhood days. For a brief moment, I thought I
would drop the idea of meeting him; I too freaked out watching Ralph’s behavior.
Nonetheless, he was my best friend, and the very reason I was here today. With
a broken smile, I entered the enormous gate of the cemetery as though I was
entering the gate of heaven. I slowly moved towards him and called out his
name. Neither did he respond, nor did he acknowledge my presence. He simply
knelt down and he removed a rose from his pocket and placed it on the
beautifully engraved tombstone. What I saw on the tombstone it almost took my
breath away. Name: Steve White, Date of Birth: 21st April 1990. Date
of Death: 14th July 2007.
That gloomy rainy night was my last night on this Earth; the
rains had played havoc with my health to take me away to those dark clouds.
Outstanding 🤗
ReplyDeleteLoved this one Theresa... something about it...
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Sharon.
ReplyDelete