Out of time

‘Time is money’ an old cliché; in spite of that we take time absolutely casually.

I’ve never ever seen my mother waste or while away her time. She used to always do something or the other. At times, looking at her made me feel tired. Especially, at her age. Though she was only 51 years old while I was 24, her energy levels were always high. On the contrary, I was forever tired; probably lazy though I’d never admit it to my soul even.

It was a one of those annoying rainy days when my mother suddenly complained of a stomach pain, but I had to rush to office. So, I asked her to pop up some painkillers assuring her that she’d be fine within minutes. Monsoons in Mumbai was always a pain as the streets are always flooded, and the transport system is a mayhem.

I returned home tired and drenched in the rain, my mother immediately came to my rescue with some hot soup. I savoured the soup and crashed, soon to be woken up by my mother. I detested to go to office during rains. I was so immersed in my own problems that I completely forgot to ask my mother’s wellbeing. She had a perpetual smile on her face. A smile that could fill the room with happiness.

I drowned myself in the office meetings when one of my colleagues came rushing to the conference room. She was panting hard and her eyes were popping out. She gestured me to come out of the room. I was mortified and with an awkwardness I walked out. She had received a phone call from a hospital saying that my mother had fainted. I stood in complete silence to comprehend every word she was saying.

When I reached the hospital, I was first called by the doctor to his cabin. He made me sit comfortably and offered me a glass of water. I frowned at him for wasting my time. I was sure my mother’s blood pressure must have fallen that was the only reason she was taken to the hospital. My overly- enthusiastic neighbours could sometimes go overboard. Finally, the doctor asked me, “Since when is your mother complaining of stomach pain?” I looked at him baffled. I said that only once for which I had given her a painkiller. She seemed fine after that. The doctor told me that my mother was detected with last stage of cancer; unfortunately, there was no way to give her a lease of life.

My heart ached immensely, it felt like someone had kept a huge rock on my chest. I was working so hard for a good life for us that I I totally ignored her. Now, there was no way she could give me her time. She was out of time…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healing

Departed